John Gutke is the founder and managing partner of Gutke Law Group. Prior to creating Gutke Law Group, John was a partner for several years at a large, Am Law Top 75 national law firm. He decided to make the transition away from the traditional large law firm structure in order to pursue a more flexible, personalized, collaborative approach to practicing law and providing legal services to his clients at lower cost than the traditional law firm model.
John represents clients in complex business and commercial litigation matters, including partnership/shareholder/member disputes, directors’ and officers’ liability cases, corporate governance cases, contract disputes including non-compete / non-solicitation agreements, receivership actions, banking and real estate matters, and judgment enforcement and collection actions, among other business disputes. His trial experience and familiarity with the litigation process from start to finish has also led to recent successes in injury cases, professional negligence claims, and criminal defense matters. He has appeared in, and tried cases before, numerous state and federal courts, and has filed appeals and requests for emergency relief with the Nevada Supreme Court and other courts of appeal, including appearing before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
John also has significant experience litigating matters in U.S. Bankruptcy Court, having represented reorganizing Chapter 11 debtors-in-possession, creditors, special committees, and other parties and individuals in bankruptcy adversary proceedings, valuation trials, nondischargeability actions, and other contested matters.
Because of his educational background, which includes both bachelors and masters degrees in economics, John approaches his clients’ matters from a practical business perspective to help his clients find personally-tailored solutions to their legal needs.
John started his legal career as a law clerk to the Honorable Elizabeth Gonzalez, Chief Judge of Nevada’s Eighth Judicial District Court. Because Judge Gonzalez presides over a specialized business court docket, John received valuable experience in complex business litigation matters from the start of his career. Prior to his practice of law, John was an economics instructor and research assistant in Oregon and Utah.
· University of Oregon School of Law (J.D., 2006)
· Utah State University School of Graduate Studies (M.S., magna cum laude, 2003)
· Utah State University (B.A., cum laude, 2001)
· "Hidden in Plain Sight: Pursuing U.S.-Based Assets in Cross-Border Insolvency and Enforcement of Judgment Proceedings," American Bar Association, International Law Section - New York City Spring Conference (April 2018)
· "Business Litigation in Nevada," Nevada Contractors Association Annual Meetings, Las Vegas, Nevada (June 2015)
· Executive Committee Member, Nevada State Bar Association Litigation Section (2015-present)
· Member, Clark County, Nevada, and American Bar Associations
Honors & Awards
· Nevada Business magazine has named Mr. Gutke as among Nevada's best attorneys for each of the past five years (2013-2018), in its annual "Legal Elite" edition, which recognizes the top attorneys in the Silver State, as voted by their peers.
· Named as a "Mountain States Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers Magazine (2014-2017, and 2019)
· Selected as one of the 50 Best Up-and-Coming Attorneys in the state of Nevada by Nevada Business Magazine (2010-2014)
· Selected as a “Mountain States Rising Star” attorney by Super Lawyers Magazine (2009-2010, 2012-2013)
· Recognized by the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada for his volunteer pro bono work in Southern Nevada